Gluten free Vegan Lemon Cupcakes
I cannot stress how much I LOVE lemon anything and with my current stomach issues I wasn't sure how I was going to be making all my favorite treats. I have had to really get used to different tastes and textures that come along with vegan and gluten free baking. I think of all the treats I have made lately and this one has to be my favorite, the smell of lemons is amazing, I mean have I mentioned how much I LOVE lemons yet? I think I may have mentioned it a time or two. The decorating of the cupcakes is very simple, the reason I know this is because I can hardly decorate anything at all, so if I can do it you surely can! I find that these cupcakes are happy cupcakes with the beautiful yellow color, you could use these for a potluck, wedding, baby shower, in any sort of colors you choose. The possibilities are endless and so are my words. (he he he) On that note, have fun!!
Cook time: PT18M
Total time: PT38M
Yield: 17 Cupcakes
Recipe Adapted from Fork and Beans
- 1 Cup Organic Sugar
- 1 Cup Vegan Mayonaise
- 2/3 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice (2-3 large lemons)
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest, chopped
- 1/3 Cup Milk of Choice, I used SO Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Cup Brown Rice Flour
- 3/4 Cups White Rice Flour
- 3/4 Cup Arrowroot Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1 Cup Shortening, I Used Non-Hydrogenated
- 3 Cups Organic Powdered Sugar
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2-3 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer slowly add sugar and mayonnaise.
- Combine ingredients on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- In a small bowl combine, brown rice flour, white rice flour, Arrowroot, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt, whisk together until combined.
- Slowly add lemon juice, lemon zest, milk, vanilla, and half of the dry ingredients.
- Scrape the bottom and the sides of the bowl.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients and once again scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Line a muffin pan with paper cups and fill each one 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes completely on a wire rack.
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- Using a stand mixer or electric beaters add, shortening, powdered sugar, and lemon juice.
- Beat mixture until light and fluffy, you may need to add a little more lemon juice if mixture is to dry.
- Frost cupcakes however you feel fit. :)
- **NOTE** I used closed star tip 843 for making stars on top of the cupcake.