Gluten Free Vegan Coconut Cream Pie
Goodness, where do I begin? I have been on this kick lately and craving cream pies, donuts, cobblers, muffins, oh gheesh I could go on and on. With my current diet restrictions I'm not able to have dairy, wheat, or eggs. So Delicious Dairy Free has me covered though with the their fantastic products! I was able to mimic a traditional Coconut Cream Pie to make a Gluten Free, Vegan, Coconut Cream Pie that is to die for!! My family was going ga ga for this pie, as a matter of factly our youngest daughter asked if I could make this pie for her birthday coming up in November, now thats quite the compliment and the hubby was a little upset when he thought I didn't save him a second piece.Prep time: PT45M
Cook time: PT15M
Total time: PT3H26M
- FOR THE CRUST:
- 1-1/2 cups Gluten free All Purpose Flour (Any all purpose gluten free flour will work, I used Bavaria Mills)
- 5 Tablespoons Chilled Vegan Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Non Hydrogenated Shortening
- 1 Tablespoon Organic Cane Sugar
- 6-7 Tablespoons Cold Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 3 Cups SO Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup So Delicious French Vanilla Coconut Creamer (Not Barista Style)
- 3-4 Tablespoons Cornstarch or All Purpose Gluten free Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan Butter
- 1 cup Shredded Sweetened Coconut Flakes, Toasted
- 1 Container So Delicious CocoWhip
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium sized bowl add gluten free flour, butter, shortening, sugar, and sea salt.
- Using a pastry cutter or two knives cut butter and shortening into mixture until it resembles small pebbles.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, depending on the day it may take more or less water.
- Roll out crust and cook until just golden brown, 15-18 minutes.
- When finished cooking remove from oven and set aside.
- Place coconut flakes on a cookie sheet and bake 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a medium sized sauce pan add unsweetened coconut milk, coffee creamer, cornstarch and salt.
- Whisk until smooth removing any lumps prior to turning on the burner.
- Turn burner on to medium high heat and whisk mixture until thick making sure it comes to a boil. Boil mixture for at least 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla, butter, and 3/4 cup of the toasted coconut flakes.
- Pour filling into pie shell and place into refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
- After about two hours place the entire container of CocoWhip on the top of the pie spreading over the pie evenly.
- Garnish with remaining 1/4 cup of toasted coconut.