Gluten-free Apple Pie
Today has been one of those days where I woke up and it was a beautiful sunny but frozen day. I love being inside on these types of days puttering around the house or of course in the kitchen. I have had a lot of people ask me lately for a Gluten-free Apple Pie which I have been really putting off because peeling apples really isn't my most favorite thing to do. None the less I bucked up and peeled those apples. My family loves pies I mean any kind of pies. and I can never keep them around for long. When I'm in the kitchen I find my happy place by turning on a little soothing music while singing away, the cats look at me sometimes and I have to chuckle to myself. I hope you enjoy this Gluten-free Apple Pie.
Cook time: PT55M
Total time: PT2H10M
- FOR THE CRUST:
- 1 Cup White Rice Flour
- 3/4 Cup Tapioca Flour
- 3/4 Cup Potato Starch
- 1 Heaping Teaspoon Xanthum Gum
- 3/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 3/4 Cups Shortening (I Used Earth Balance)
- 1 Whole Egg (Lightly Beaten)
- 1 Tablespoon Vinegar
- 2-3 Tablespoons Ice Cold Water
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 6 Whole Granny Smith Apples (Or Apples Of Choice)
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup All Purpose Gluten-free Flour (I Used Jules)
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- FOR THE CRUST: (This crust recipe has been adapted by: Emril Lagasse)
- In a medium sized metal bowl add white rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, xanthum gum, sea salt. **Note** All of this could also be done in a stand mixer.
- Cut cold shortening into 1 tablespoon pieces and add to flour mixture.
- Using a pastry cutter cut in shortening until mixture resembles a fine course meal.
- In a small bowl crack egg and lightly beat, add vinegar to egg and beat once more.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture.
- Slowly add ice water to flour mixture and cut until mixture comes together in a soft smooth ball.
- **NOTE Depending on the day you may need to add more than three tablespoons of water**
- When mixture has come together separate into two separate balls cover each with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- FOR THE FILLING:
- In a clean medium sized bowl peel and slice apples.
- In the same bowl add sugar, gluten-free flour, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg.
- Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Set apple mixture aside.
- Meanwhile remove pie dough from the refrigerator and roll out into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Pour apple mixture on top of rolled out crust, arrange evenly in pie plate.
- Roll out second pie crust and lay on top.
- Seal the two crusts together and flute the edges.
- Cut a slit in the middle of the pie to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 365 degrees F.