Gluten free Mini Strawberry Pies
Prep Time: PT15M
Cook time: PT20M
Total time: PT1H25M
- FOR THE CRUST:
- 1 Cup White Rice Flour or Brown Rice Flour
- 3/4 Cups Tapioca Flour
- 3/4 Cups Potato Starch
- 1 Heaping Teaspoon Xanthum Gum
- 3/4 Teaspoons Sea Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar Plus 1 Teaspoon
- 1/2 Cup Shortening (Or Earth Balance)
- 1/4 Cup Butter (Or Earth Balance)
- 1 Whole Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Vinegar
- 2-3 Tablespoons Ice Cold Water
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 3 Pounds Fresh Strawberries Sliced in Half Lengthwise
- 4 Tablespoons Strawberry Flavored Jello
- 4 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- Using a pastry cutter or stand mixer add white rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, xanthum gum, sea salt, sugar, shortening, and butter.
- Combine until mixture resembles small pebbles.
- In a small bowl combine egg and vinegar, whisk together.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture.
- Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- **NOTE** Depending on the day you may need more or less water.
- Separate mixture into two even balls forming disks.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- This recipe makes two full size crusts, a top and a bottom for a 9 inch pie. Depending how many mini pies you are making you may only need one crust or both for more mini pies.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll out crusts and form into plate, decorate edges any way you see fit.
- Bake pie crusts for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely on a wired rack.
- In a small sauce pan combine strawberry jello, cornstarch, sugar, and water.
- Stirring constantly bring mixture to a full rolling boil and keep whisking for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool mixture until just warm.
- While mixture is cooling cut fresh strawberries and place into cooled pie crusts.
- Spoon cooled mixture over fresh strawberries careful not to fill to high.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Serve and enjoy.