Gluten-free Dairy-free Strawberry Pie
This recipe is so fresh, vibrant, and light perfect for any summer picnic or family get together. I must give credits to "Emeril Lagasse" for his fabulous pie crust recipe, and my former mother in law for her amazing pie recipe, she has always been a baking inspiration for me.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 1/2-2 hours
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 3/4 cups tapioca flour
- 3/4 cups potato starch
- 1 heaping teaspoon xanthum gum
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening (earth balance)
- 1/4 cup butter (earth balance)
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons ice cold water
- 2 teaspoons sweet rice flour for dusting
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 4 tablespoons strawberry jello (powder form)
- 4 lbs fresh strawberries
- For the crust: In a stand mixer add, white rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, xanthum gum, salt, sugar, shortening, and butter. Blend until mixture has crumb type appearance, slowly add egg, vinegar, and water. Mix until combined, remove from bowl, divide dough into two balls, wrap both balls in plastic and form disks. Refrigerate for 45 minutes. Roll dough out into a 9 inch pie plate and bake on 400 degrees F for 15 minutes or until crust is golden. Cool completely.
- For the Filling:
- In a small sauce pan combine water, sugar, corn starch, and strawberry jello. On medium high heat stir until mixture begins to boil, boil for 2-3 minutes, mixture will be thin. Remove from heat and let cool down until luke warm. Clean and wash your strawberries and slice in half. In a cooled pie shell add your strawberries to the shell, drizzle your sugar mixture over the entire pie, put directly in refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Enjoy.